Cosmetic Surgery

Wrinkle Treatment with Botulinum Toxin

Botulinum Toxin

Botulinum Toxin is a chemical made in a laboratory, not bacteria! Botulinum Toxin has been used in medicine for 30 years. It has found a wide variety of uses: treating muscle contractures, squints, excessive sweating, migraines, and more recently (since 1990) for cosmetic treatments.

Cosmetic surgeons use Botulinum Toxin to weaken muscles in the face that cause the expression lines that are unattractive. Frown lines between the brows, crows feet around the eyes and forehead lines are commonly treated. Deeper ingrained lines (look at your face when you are not making any expression) will not be improved by a single treatment, but with regular treatment even these will improve somewhat as the skin is rested from making the expression that caused the lines to develop. Deep ingrained lines and folds may be more suitable for treatment with 'fillers'.

The treatment takes about 10 minutes. It involves multiple tiny injections with a very small needle – most people find that these don't really hurt. The treated areas may be a little red for up to an hour afterwards and mineral powder make up will be applied if you would like this. I do not give a follow up appointment routinely, but I am always happy to review my patients. Occasionally it is necessary to 'top up' a treatment to get the best possible result.

I do not give any special instructions after the treatment, you can do whatever you like. You may apply make-up straight afterwards if you wish. The treatment does not take its effect for about 4 days.

Botulinum Toxin before and after

The treatment is safe with almost no long term adverse effects having been reported. As with any medical treatment there are occasional problems, these include: heaviness of the eyebrows, droopy eyelid, asymmetrical or peculiar expression. It may be possible to improve some of these problems in the unlikely event that they occur. Bruising, particularly around the eyes, is not uncommon, it is usually minor and can be easily covered with make up. If you take aspirin, ibuprofen or other anti-inflamatory painkiller, stopping this 7 days before treatment will help minimise bruising. About 1 in 10 people get a headache after the treatment, you may take an over the counter painkiller for this.

The treatment is not permanent – in most people it lasts 3-4 months, and will then wear off completely. People who have regular treatments often find that the effects last longer.

If there is a chance you may be pregnant you should not have Botulinum Toxin treatment.